does anyone know how to access the google doc to write the motifs?
here are mine anyway...
1) World Trade Center: pages 12, 33, 36. Sasha makes several references to 9/11 and the fact that the world trade center is no longer there. "It were a problem her mind couldn't solve" (37). I feel like it sets a mood of tenseness and a certain anxiety.
2) Identity crisis-real vs phony
"Where we live, in the Sunset, the ocean is always just over your shoulder and the houses have Easter-egg colors. But the second Scotty lets the garage door slam down, we're suddenly enraged, all of us" (44). Is their rage a facade? Are they pretending to be angry?
"Knowing all this makes us one step closer to being real, but not completely. When does a fake Mohawk become a real Mohawk? Who decides? How do you know it it's happened?" (46). It's almost as if they are pretend punks and they are posers.
but.. "Bennie does less of this. I think he actually listens to the music" (46). Does this make him less of a poser since he is different from the rest of his friends?
also.."[Alice] isn't a real punk, either" (47).
"Scotty's smiling now, grinning like I almost never see him grin wolf teeth flashing, and I realize that, out of all of us, Scotty is the truly angry one" (52). The narrator (Rhea) recognizes that Scotty is the only real one out of her friends and that the rest are just pretending.
Lastly.."[Alice] is calm and happy now that Scotty loves her. I can't tell if she's actually real, or if she's stopped caring if she's real or not. Or is not caring what makes a person real?" (58). We see Rhea really struggling with identity-not just her own but other people's as well.
there is a link on the first page of the portal
ReplyDeletehttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1rKzig231pMjTjl6d9obXRKQtg89cM4niJTc86uxkXrs/edit
ReplyDelete